Monday, September 14, 2009

Remembering the Big H, Papa, Uncle Harry... our Dad.



Today is a bittersweet day for sure. There is a lot of reflection, a little bit of sadness, but mostly happiness as we reflect on Dad and the incredible man that he is and the life that he lived. We miss him often and I am sure that the more time that goes by the more we will miss him. Having him not be here physically when Matt came home from his mission was tough. It was one of the first big family events where Dad was not present. There will clearly be many more of these instances throughout life. But we feel his presence and know that he is watching over us and is very much still a part of our life.

My only fear is that my kids won't know him. There is a pretty big responsibility I have to convey to them how amazing their Papa is, and that he would have loved to wrestle with them, and take them on fun adventures. They would have loved him. I am sure the stories will be some of their favorites. We miss you Dad and will remember you forever.

June 4, 1962- September 14, 2008
In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing and the sky is clear and red.
When the summer’s ceased its gleaming,
When the corn is past its prime,
When adventure’s lost its meaning,
I’ll be homeward bound in time.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow.

If you find it’s me you're missing, if you’re hoping I’ll return.
To your thoughts I’ll soon be list’ning, and in the road I’ll stop and turn.
Then the wind will set me racing as my journey nears its end.
And the path I’ll be retracing when I’m homeward bound again.

Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow.

In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing,
I’ll be homeward bound again.

-Music and Lyrics by Marta Keen

5 comments:

Shannon said...

What a sweet post in honor of your Dad! We miss Harold too. The responsibility will be great to convey who he was, but you will do it wonderfully!

Aubrey Messick said...

What a special post. My mother's father died just before she married and I never had the opportunity to know him, but I still feel his spirit and know he is up above smiling down on me and cheering me on every step of the way. I know your Dad is and will do the same for you and your children. Happy birthday to your Dad!

Megan & Matt said...

Matt and I were thinking of you guys yesterday. What a beautiful poem and we hope you guys are doing well.

Kate Brotherson said...

I can't believe it has been a year already. What a great man he was and still is I am sure! Sweet post Ash!

The Christensen Family said...

Just in tears. We miss Uncle Harry! Love your family and feel so lucky that we have some peeps pulling for us on the other side! ;) XXOO